Friday, August 31, 2007

Summer Holidays - Soria





Day 1 – 9th August Thursday

Today we arrived to the village. After hearing so much about the place where toni’s mother was from, I am so pleased to be here. We drove 6 hours straight from Barcelona and arrived in ‘el pueblo’ (the village) at 9pm. First stop, the house of Toni’s grandmother Sira, with who we had a funny conversation, almost yelling because she’s nearly deaf. The family had explained to her that I was from a country far far away and that I didn’t speak her language very well. But it was still confusing for the near 93 year old and she asked me a couple of times, if they spoke Spanish in Australia. After that we drove around the corner to Toni’s house. We were welcomed by his father, Antonio, always smiling and friendly, and showing me around ‘nuestro casa’ what he called our house. It’s a beautiful reformed villa, with many bedrooms and a lovely terrace area outside. We all piled around the table and ate a lovely dinner of vegetables and meat from the village. Great food. Now its dark, and there are millions of stars shining and the air outside has cooled right down, there is a gentle breeze blowing through the fields and I’m feeling refreshed and happy to be breathing nice country air.. I am expecting to be woken up by the crowing of roosters tomorrow…

No comments: